Possible outlet mall war in Charlotte ends in partnership | News
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV)- What was gearing up to be an aggressive fight for shoppers between two of the nation's largest retail developers ended before it even started Thursday.
Simon Properties, who own SouthPark Mall and Concord Mills, and Tanager Outlets, who run outlet centers in Mebane and in Gaffney, SC, announced that they will build one outlet center in Charlotte, rather than the previously announced two separate ones.
The companies announced that they will build the new outlet center on a tract of land at Interstate 485 and Steele Creek Road.
The complex will include 350,000 square feet of retail and food space, with the potential to expand out an additional 50,000 square feet.
The outlet center will be called Charlotte Premium Outlets and is expected to open in the spring of 2014.
Typical outlet centers run by Simon and Tanger include stores such as Banana Republic, Gap, Nike and Polo Ralph Lauren.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near South Park
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- MEDIC: Two injured in southeast Charlotte wreck
- Firefighters investigating house fire in Elizabeth neighborhood
- French government to honor 15 NC veterans in Charlotte today
- Charlotte woman turning to Internet for clues in home break-in
- Police looking for two men wanted in connection to South End car break-ins